Comments

Monday, May 31, 2010

Monday Fun Day "Sew much fun!" Hairband tutorial

Posted by at 2:22 PM Read our previous post
Let's start with a little 'funny' I found here.


I've been doing a bit of sewing the last couple weeks. My dining room has temporarily become the sewing room (previously it was the green house to start my veggy seedings of which many died as soon as we transplanted them - but thats another story!!!) I working my sewing bravery up to creating a new duvet cover by sewing smaller projects. Taylor was at a friends home to play one day and came home with a cute sewn headband. She loved it and thought it was soooo comfortable. So I asked that mom how to make them and have been creating ever since. Pictured below is today's version - perfect for 4th of July in another month or so. Taylor has also been having me make them for her friends too! They see them on Taylor and Taylor tells them, no problem, I'll ask my mom to make you one. Should I tell her it actually takes work??? But I do end up with extra fabric from fat quarters I bought to create these. And the smile oh her face makes the extra work all worth it.


But how do you make them you ask???  Here are some basic instructions:

1.  Cut one piece of  fabric 6 1/4 inches by 14 1/2 inches. Double fold over the long edges, pressing, and then top sewing. Accordian fold on end to about 1/2 inch wide. Sew onto this end a 6 inch piece of elastic (up to 3/4 inch wide elastic). Accordian fold other end of fabric and put in a few stitches to hold.

2.  Cut a 2nd piece of  fabric 10 inches by 2 1/4 inches. This will cover your elastic. Press over the short ends and top sew if you want . It is not necessary though. Fold in half length wise and stitch together leaving as much room as you safely can for 'tube. Pull outside in.... or is that inside out???? Basically make the right side of your newly sewn tube be on the outside. I use the eraser end of a pencil to help push it through.

3. Pull tube over elastic you have sewn to large fabric piece. Attaching a safety pin to end of elastic will make this much easier. Pull tube just over ends of accordian folded fabric. Sew tightly in place.

4. Now sew other end of elastic to other accordian folded end of large fabric. Then pull tube over top and securely stitch in into place. This can be kind of messy since it really isn't seen under the hair.

5. And as my daughter likes to say "ta da!" Done. I try mine on my daughter next because I've discovered some elastic stretches a lot and some too little, so experimentation may be needed. If it is too large you can easily double fold a bit of the elastic & tube and then stitch. If it is too small, find a toodler to give it to! Sorry, haven't found a better alternative or easy fix for that.

Now have fun doing a sewing project that is really easy once you get the hang of it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

© Clever Monkey Graphics is powered by Blogger - Template designed by Stramaxon - Best SEO Template